Friday, April 18, 2008

Introduction

I’m almost there. I can feel it. The smell of it is in the air. It’s the elusive level 70. I started on this server (Jaedenar) back when the server was new. I created a gnome rogue, having never leveled any character over 23 or so. I thought it would be fun. And it was.

Round about 45 or so, I decided I was getting bored roguing things and figured I’d try something else. I started a priest. I had a level 20 Monk in Guild Wars (20 was as high as you could go in that one) and I’d enjoyed it, so I figured I’d give a priest a try.

The priest passed the rogue round about level 55. The rogue’s still sitting at 60, and my priest is now a level 67 toon. I’m specced almost completely shadow with some Mana talents in the Disc tree. And I can smell the end. Only 3 more levels to go, and I’m half way through one of them. It’s taken me AGES to get this far. Some people think “Why? It’s so easy to level a char from 1-70 in a few weeks.”

Hell, a friend of mine that I got started playing this game when I was about 40 or so on the rogue now has about 4 of his own level 70 characters.

But I don’t play as much as a lot of people. I work 9-5 every day, I’m married, and the wife refuses to play the game. So I’m stuck huddled down infront of the PC at night after she’s gone to sleep or playing an hour or two here and there after work. It doesn’t lend itself to doing the higher level quests. Or, at least that’s what I tell myself.

That also leads to the fact that I’m a terrible Altaholic. I have created and deleted a vast number of characters. I’ve just recently convinced myself to stop deleting them and keeping them for when I wish I still had them. That way, I don’t have to re-create them and level 1-20 again. That seems to be the “stopping point” for me. I love the level 1-20ish areas.

But not my Shadow Priest. Once I hit 20 on him and got mindflay, and got my casting sequence down and “set in stone”, even grinding was fun. I put out the same damage (or at least it seems like it) as I did with my rogue at a similar level, I don’t take NEARLY as much damage, and I can heal myself if I do. Hell, at 40 I’d picked up Vamp. Embrace and Shadowform – I take LESS damage, and heal myself just by DOING damage. What more can you ask for?

Add spirit tap to that, and it’s almost more non-stop than it was with a rogue. I rarely drink. Specially now that I got shadowfiend. I played for about 2 hours last night, I think I used 2 waters. It’s great.

So that’s me, where I am, what I’m doing. I hope to keep this updated pretty regularly because it’s always fun to go back and read what was going on in the life of a wow character at any given time. Also I’ve had more time to play lately (read: been neglecting the wife more lately) and I’ve blown through the 50’s and 60’s so far. So it won’t be long now.

No comments: