Friday, April 18, 2008

What is this "holy" tree you speak of?

Yes, I know. I’m a priest. I should heal. Right?

Well, no. All edumacated people that have ever played a priest know that a decent shadow priest can be plenty of help to a group. The issue, though, is that my server is a ridiculously low-pop server. I like the guild that I’m in, but I’m the 3rd highest level in it. The other 2 are a tanking pally, and a hunter. The hunter gives good CC, the pally can tank it if we need it, and then there’s me. I always sorta get grouped in the “heal” spot because it’s much easier to find 2 DPS than a healer. Dime a dozen, I tell ya.

A few levels ago, I ran BF with a like-level PUG and healed it. We didn’t do so hot. It convinced me to re-spec holy. This was around level 62. I threw together a hybrid smite/heal Holy/Disc build. It worked OK. My healing was great, I could still grind without drinking too much (though I still had to after about 6-8 pulls typically). It could have just been because I didn’t have a good casting order, but anyway. I Re-ran BF with another like-level PUG, and TORE IT UP. I had NO trouble whatsoever healing the group. There was ONE wipe on that annoying second boss where you have to fight off 4 groups of mobs, immediately followed by the boss. I was the first one to die, and Improved Death only lasts for 15 seconds. The fight’s quite a bit longer than that.

Anyway, it was nice. I leveled up to about 66 specced holy and ran more instances than I had since Scarlet Monestary. (Man, I LOVED SM. No trouble healing THAT as a shadow spec..) But I missed the Damage! I started Nagrand at level 66 or so, and was killin some orcs. There were a bunch of 2-pulls instead of the single mob pulls that I usually go for. I couldn’t mana burn well, couldn’t silence-pull the casters. I’d throw fear, but then the mobs would run off to God knows where because I couldn’t slow them with Mindflay.

That’s what I missed most of all, really. Mindflay. I love that spell.

So anyway, I specced back to shadow. It cost me 20g, but it was worth it. I’ve actually only been back to shadow for a bout a level now. I ran BF again, but I was 66 at the time, so I didn’t have any trouble healing that. Hell, I renew + Vamp Embrace healed most of it. We lost our tank after the first boss, and never got one back. We made it from the 1st to the 2nd boss with no tank at all. We didn’t get past the second boss, but that was more due to a lack of a tank than a lack of decent healing. Even with Pots, Shadowfiend, Vamp. Touch, and Vamp. Embrace, I couldn’t keep mana up long enough to get through the entire fight. I was healing a lock, a 60 rogue, 60 hunter, and a mage. So they were taking heavy damage. It just didn’t work.

So, I’ve been there, done that (for all of 4 levels) in the holy tree. I tend to solo more than instance, and generally enjoy solo-questing. I like grouping too, but it’s not as much my thing. What did I learn? I’m much more of a shadow type of guy. Or night elf chick, as the case may be.

No comments: